ZWMNE intends to focus on all the following areas for the period 2017-2018:
- Raising awareness on the concept of Circular Economy
- Promoting Zero Waste practices (such as composting and use of reusable items)
- Lobbying against waste incineration
- Providing technical expertise to recycling facilities to increase their recycling rate
- Establishing an active Zero Waste community
- Supporting the establishment of the First Zero Waste Municipality
- Lobbying for a nation-wide plastic bag ban
- Organizing clean-ups to raise awareness on illegal waste dumping
Raising awareness on the concept of Circular Economy:
Zero Waste Montenegro will establish by the end of 2017 a comprehensive set of resources in English and Montenegrin language in its website to educate citizen on the concept of Circular Economy, and more specifically about the Zero Waste Concept. It will make content, infographics, posters, educational material available for teachers, educators, municipalities, companies who want to use them for their own audience.
Promoting Zero Waste practices:
This objective will be achieved by showing the example, inspiring, and creating good habits through sensitization activities about use of single-use plastic bags, sale of reusable bags, presence at festivals and events, encouraging local retailers to start a smart bagging policy, creating Zero Waste kit for local ZWMNE groups, organizing free or low-cost screenings of Zero Waste awareness raising movies across the country, identifying several celebrities to become ZWMNE Ambassadors, etc… Zero Waste Montenegro will also support a community willing to implement community or backyard composting in their municipality or town by providing customized advice on methods to build and implement such project (ex: creating a financing/subsidies plan with the municipality, door-to-door visits to each household, suitable solution and monitoring of implementation). Then lobby with the government and other municipalities to expand to one region and nation-wide.
Lobbying against waste incineration:
By informing the concerned population about the negative health and environment effects of burning waste.
Providing technical expertise to recycling facilities to increase their recycling rate:
Advising Livade recycling and sorting facility to at least double their current sorting rate and helping them to find buyers or usages for the sorted recyclables.
Establishing an active Zero Waste community:
Establishing partnerships with NGO’s, schools or initiatives involved in global or local waste issues in Montenegro. Building on those partnership to raise funds to implement nation-wide projects and campaigns. Providing those organizations with educational material and information on new National and European Zero Waste policies.
Supporting the establishment of the First Zero Waste Municipality:
This objective will be achieved by selecting one or two municipalities in Montenegro of small to medium-size, where the mayor and local waste management company are personally and strongly committed to making their municipality the first ZW municipality in Montenegro and is able to finance at least 30% of the project. ZWMNE will provide some support to the municipality in terms of planning, monitoring and reporting, and communications.
Lobbying for a nation-wide plastic bag ban:
- Encouraging citizen and retailers to limit their use of plastic bags and use more reusable bags through sensitization campaigns, sale of reusable bags, government lobbying and petition.
Organizing clean-ups to raise awareness on illegal waste dumping:
- Organizing several cleanups in strategic areas in collaboration with other organizations and use them to communicate on the problem of waste dumping in Montenegro.